Server OS for Valentina Server

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:20:35 CDT 2007

Hi List,

I'm trying to decide what operating system would be the best to host
Valentina Server

I am not trying to start a mine is better than yours discussion.

The choices are

Linux Server

Personal Minus:

1) I can get around but I am not really familiar (confident) on a
Linux Distro, so longer learning curve (and I don't have time, off
course)
2) Valentina Server is still very young on this OS, so I suppose
there will be some quirks to battle

Pro
Stable and hardened OS
Price ?---> not really clear since training cost and probably
professional assistance would be needed
Practically virus free

Windows Server 2003 ?

Con

Price + upgrade policies
Viruses, best know to hackers
Administration intensive ?

Pro
Stable and hardened OS
Valentina runs stable

Windows XP Pro

Why would I need to go to W2003 Server ????
What are the advantages (for running Valentina Server) of MS Server
OS over MS XP Pro ?
Better connection management ??

OSX Server

Pro
Stable and Hardened OS
"NO" virusses (for the time being)
Price ?

Con
??

OSX

Do I need OSX Server for running a Valentina Server ?

Thanks for your insights on this matter

Bart Pietercil