Assistance needed on query

Sims, John (CDC/CCHP/NCBDDD) (CTR) ayu8 at CDC.GOV
Mon May 14 08:02:47 CDT 2007

Hi Ruslan,

I've seen this trick before.  For many databases, this gives you a
column of "blanks", or other "default" values.  We used to use this
trick for binding the datatable (cursor) to a datagrid when we wanted to
include columns that had nothing to do with the database.

For example:

Select FirstName, LastName, Address, City, State, Zip, TRUE as
'PrintNow' FROM Addresses

Now, when you get the datatable, you bind it to the grid and have a
"PrintNow" column with each line set to TRUE by default.  We would never
store the "PrintNow" data in the database and this way you didn't have
to modify the datatable after the results were returned from the
database just to add the "PrintNow" column.  Having the "PrintNow"
column in the datatable made it easier to pass this information to
related processes.

I hope I made sense.

-John