Schema backwards compatibility

jda jda at his.com
Fri May 11 10:30:11 CDT 2007

Hi Ruslan,

I just changed the schema of my database, adding 3 new fields. On
opening older databases, my app modifies them to add these.

I was surprised to find that when I tried to open the new, modified
db in the older version of my app it opened without a complaint! I
checked with viSQL, and the database is indeed modified (has the 3
new fields). Shouldn't the older version refuse to open it,
generating a VException?

I'm quite happy to be able to open newer schemas with the older
version of my app, but I didn't think it was supposed to work.

Using V2.5.8, BTW, and the API way for creating databases.

Jon