[DISCUSS] Missing basic features ? ROADMAP

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 05:39:58 CDT 2007

On 22-mrt-07, at 11:19, Kim Kohen wrote:

>> * Kim, also please inform us what you want from Valentina but it
>> can't do.
> Actually most of the things I want (or wanted) are already being
> implemented.
>
> The binding stuff is looking pretty neat, although I think I found
> a bug or two. I'll get around to reporting properly when I have
> time to play. I want to try and build an application entirely with
> binding - like I did with pgsql4rb.

What binding stuff ;-)
I just build my own in RB

>> * we have implement in Valentina 3.0 branch
> this contains most of my desires - especially the backups and
> scheduling. Whilst FMP doesn't have inbuilt scheduled backups, I've
> always deployed using FMP server which does - same with MySQL. It
> seemed very strange to me to not have scheduled backups for a server.
>
> Triggers will be the other big one - will make many things a lot
> easier. Things like the creation date setting. Will also make it a
> snack to set pointer values or to set links.

Hear hear

>> * for say 3.1  we will add support of LOG file, which can monitor
>> all changes and be applied to latest BACUKP.
> EVEN BETTER!!  this is the first I recall seeing this as an
> upcoming feature. We also run Sybase at work and it has always
> impressed me how easily restores can be done with log files.
>

>> * and then all efforts will be directed to implementation of
>> transactions,
> Transactions aren't that important to my particular projects but
> I'm sure they are to others.

I am this (significant) other

>> * parallel we can and should improve such things as - more field
>> types  - more index types
> I believe you were working on improved full text indexing - that
> would be nice.
>

>> About Valentina Studio.
> I know we've spoken in the past about CLI tools and Applescript but
> I would still like this access outside of VStudio. Ideally to have
> a javascript API where it could talk directly to the database.
> There's an Applescript application around called MySQL bridge that
> does this for MySQL. I'd still like to be able to have a two way
> data conversation with InDesign using javascript:)
>
> Most of the things I need a CLI tool for could be written in RB so
> I guess it's not such a big deal anymore.  I already have a small
> utility running on a server at work which synchronises our current
> FMP solution with Valentina (and MySQL). This will make it possible
> to run the new RB app in parallel with FMP and still have up to
> date data.

I would like to see Valentina evoluate towards a full blown design
and management tool for VServer . Something one can put in the hands
of an IT department, but not for endusers (that's our job).
So I really don't see the advantage of having forms

>> All together these plugins will move Valentina Studio to at least
>> FileMaker
>> level.
> in what way?  I really like Valentina but Filemaker it aint. I'm
> not sure if the long term goal of paradigma is to move into the FMP
> market but if it is, you have a long way to go. For all its
> shortcomings, FMP is a mature product with a pretty rich feature
> set - it just starts to suck when you want your app to look and
> behave like a *real* app.
>
> If you want a GUI, maybe you should talk to Servoy (although I
> never really liked their product).

I just moved away from them (pricing and lock-in) but it is certainly
an interesting product

>> Also we need yet:
>>         Develop powerful preferences.
>>         Diagram Editor - for visual creation of table and links.
>>         Report tool
>>         SQL Builder - we have ideas how improve it a lots.
> these are all cool but tend to suggest the user will be doing
> everything in VStudio rather than building (or using) a custom
> application.

The user for me is the developer. I'm building a 60 tables project
and I sure would have liked a visual designer for designing and
redesigning AND communicating this design with my fellow designers.
Being able to generate a visual of a database makes it easier to
discuss its design.
This for me indicates that Valentina is still very much a "one
developer tool" where it doesn't need to be

just my 0,02 €

Bart