[INFO] creation date OF RECORD. NOW().

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Wed Mar 21 04:09:28 CDT 2007

G'day Ruslan,

> 1) So you want create a record and one its field should have NOW
> value.
> Why not simply as:
>
>     INSERT INTO T1( f1, f2, f3) VALUES ( NOW(), x, y )
yes, I knew it can be coded around, it just seemed like it should
work.  Would it make more sense to generate an error in the field
rather than garbage data?  Or trap for a function rather than a
constant in VStudio?

> 2) We have check and remember that DEFAULT VALUE of field can be
> only a
> constant by SQL92. You cannot specify here NOW() or other formula.
But wouldn't it be cool if you could:)

> 3) in upcoming Valentina 3.0 the case (1) can be simplified by
> usage of
> trigger.
every time I read about triggers and stored procedures I think of new
ways to use them. Seems like a really neat way to set ObjectPtrs
during inserts.  I seem to recall mention of 3.x betas in a few
weeks. Is that right?

cheers

kim