RealBasic Data Manipulation "Best Practices". . .?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jun 28 08:53:49 CDT 2007

On 27/6/07 2:12 PM, "Michael Williams" <mwilliams at mgreg.com> wrote:

Hi All,

>>   Do you want use Valentina's RecID, ObjectPtr, binaryLink?
>
> Hrm, I guess none of them.  Some of these seem to perform well and
> allow you to take up less space in the DB, but those really aren't my
> interests.  Ultimately I suppose I'm looking for Object-Relational
> Mapping.  Folks keep directing me to Valentina, but I suppose it may
> not be what I need.

While I am waiting answers from Michael, I have to think and remember some
things about OR-mapping.

Btw, you can read about it here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping

Interesting on this page is:

> Critique
>
> Some have proposed that the promotion of Object-Relational Mapping tools is
> symptomatic of an intent to solve the wrong side of the Object-Relational
> impedance mismatch issue. The information principle underpinning relational
> databases implies that object orientation itself is inadequate for the full
> needs of data manipulation, and it is that 'paradigm' as a whole that should
> be addressed. If this was the case ORM would be left redundant. In this view,
> the "impedance mismatch" and the supposed need for object-relational mapping
> arises from the mistaken equation of object and relation (table or view in SQL
> speak). The correct mapping in the relational model is between object and
> type.

When I did talk to other OR-mappers fans, they all use this term " impedance
mismatch"...

And they have agree that RecID and OID really can help resolve some of
issues.

*************************
P.S. As I have always told, it is not great idea take Relational DBMS, and
try make it smell as Object DB. Instead much better create Object-Relational
db engine and eliminate need in OR maps.

Only reason for maps I see is like a layers which hides different DBs, i.e.
The task which do any layer, e.g. The same RBDB or RevDB.

P.S.2  Again, while I wait for Michael response, I have to think it will be
good idea write WIKI article "Comparing OR-maps to Valentina API". So far, I
have try image few tasks, and compare them in both styles. I have not found
yet big sense in OR map around V4RB for example, again, if not talk about
     "General API Layer around DB to hide it".