RealBasic Data Manipulation "Best Practices". . .?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jun 27 09:24:15 CDT 2007

On 27/6/07 2:12 PM, "Michael Williams" <mwilliams at mgreg.com> wrote:

Hi Michael,

>> I recommend subscribe to Valentina list and ask such general questions
>> there. Some other Valentina developers can be in help faster or
>> more useful
>> of me.  :-)
>
>> Can I ask few questions to better help?
>>
>> 1) what is your db experience?
>>
>>     did you work before with SQL?
>>
>>     What dbs?
>>
>>     Do you know Relational Model?
>>

> Yes, Ruslan, I've been working with databases (and various other
> storage formats) since the mid-90s.   I've dealt extensively with SQL
> and data serialization, etc.  Since RB neither implements interfaces
> for OR Mapping nor Serialization I decided to try Valentina since
> everyone is raving about it.

> I don't necessarily believe that SQL is evil, but I'd much prefer to
> access my data with dot-notation these days (e.g. RoR).  I was hoping
> that you all had written some low level code to allow data binding/
> mapping at a higher level.

Ok clear.

First note in this first reply:

REALbasic is not ROR, so I believe things that can be possible in SCRIPT
LANGUAGE as Ruby, are not so short in languages like RB or C++ or Java or
NET.

You need keep this in mind always.

If you looking for very short notation, that you need choose HIGH LEVEL
language, payment of course - speed. Script language can be slower or MUCH
slower... So its your own trade off.