V4RB 3.0 and pre-emptive threads

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jul 23 05:10:05 CDT 2007

Hi Ruslan,

Thank you for all of the help with this.  I have one more possibility to
explore.  Would it be possible for me to declare directly against the
Valentina Kernel dylib, and pass in a reference to the Valentina objects I
have already created?  Something like this in RB:

Const kVKernelLib =
"/usr/local/lib/vcomponents/libvkernel_fat_release.dylib"

Declare Function ValentinaInit Lib kVKernelLib (inCacheSize as UInt32,
inMacSNPtr as Ptr, inWinSNPtr as Ptr, inUnixSNPtr as Ptr) as UInt32

Dim VCacheSize as integer
VCacheSize = ValentinaInit(8*1024*1024, 0, 0, 0)

Whenever I try this, my REALbasic application crashes with a console error
of:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _ValentinaInit
  Referenced from: /Documents/DJ-1800/svn_code_cvsdude/PreemptiveThread/Test
project/PreemptiveThread.debug.app/Contents/MacOS/PreemptiveThread.debug
  Expected in: /usr/local/lib/vcomponents/libvkernel_fat_release.dylib

This does not involve passing references to existing REALbasic objects, and
I guess I would need to do this too.

I am very aware that this is *not* the way this is meant to be done!  But I
have to find a way to call Valentina, on a true, preemptive background
thread from within REALbasic, using my existing REALbasic valentina objects,
but without using the V4RB plugin.  My only alternative is to re-write all
of my database code in a plugin (and this is a lot of code).

If you have any other ideas as to how I could do this, I would be very
grateful, as I am hitting my head against a brick wall.

Thanks,

Dave.