V4MD - <null> results with lingo

Giacomo Vernoni giacomo at way-out.it
Mon Jul 16 08:46:32 CDT 2007

Hi all,
I'm converting a huge project from V4MD 1.11 to 3.0. Director MX 2004
on Mac OS X 10.4.10.

On v1.11 a text field returned an empty string as a result; now I'm
getting a <null> result.
That's fine for me, but <null> is nothing lingo can handle. (Note:
lingo not javascript).

Example:

myText = vcursor.field("fld_mytext").value
put myText

-- <null>

I really need an empty string, so I tried with getstring():

myText = vcursor.field("fld_mytext").getstring()
put myText

-- "<null>"

I made some tests and I found that the only solution is to check if
the result is void:

myText = vcursor.field("fld_mytext").value
if myText = void then myText = ""
put myText

-- ""

I think that the field should return <void> in lingo and null in
javascript... is this possible?
Is there a way to get an empty string from an empty or null field?

Thanks,

Giacomo Vernoni