Cursors & Stored Procedures

Bart Pietercil bart.pietercil at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 02:33:26 CDT 2007

Hi Claudius,

On 14-jul-07, at 12:50, Claudius Sailer wrote:

> Am 14.07.2007 um 09:36 schrieb Ivan Smahin:
>
>> Hello Bart,
>>
>> Friday, July 13, 2007, 12:16:40 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> BP> Hi List,
>>
>> BP> Do I understand correctly that there is no way to make a stored
>> BP> procedure return a cursor to the calling application.
>> BP> In other words I cannot do this:
>>

>> BP> Dim Cur1 as Vcursor
>>
>> BP> call myStoredProcedure(Cur1)
>>

>> BP> if Cur1 <> Nil Then
>> BP> end if
>>
>> Right you can not.
>>
>> BP> I really would love this functionality. It makes it possible
>> to move
>> BP> much more intelligence to the backend thus simplifying the
>> BP> development of the interfaces.
>>
>> Would you like put it as feature request to the Mantis?
>
> But don't forget, that it should be possible to set parameters. So
> it would be better somehting like this
>
> Cur1 = myStoredProcedure(Prameter1, Parameter2, Parameter3)

Of course, I just want one of the (out) parameters have the
possibility to be of type VCursor, but of course there is always the
possibility to have multiple parameters.
It should be possible to create a cursor based on parameters you are
sending to the stored procedure and build a cursor with it.

It looks to me as if this is already possible (based on what I read
from the WIKI), what I find missing is to obtain the cursor as a
result from the stored procedure.
I think the problem lies in the fact that procedures for the moment
return only primitif datatypes.

What I hope is that  a VCursor (which, as a concept is shared by all
Valentina interfaces) could be returned as the result from a stored
procedure as this would augment the amount of "business intelligence"
that we could store inside the backend exponentially.

Bart

PS: this request has been submitted into Mantis:
<http://valentina-db.com/bt/view.php?id=2457>