3.0->3.1 client question

Ivan Smahin IvanSmahin at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jul 7 03:11:14 CDT 2007

Hello Bart,

Monday, July 2, 2007, 2:46:11 PM, you wrote:

>> But this is really BAD, so I need to keep two versions of REALBasic
>> or change the V4RB plugin depending on the server version of the
>> customer! I need to do deploment test twice and so on and so on.
>>
>> What about a switch, so one can configure V4RB with a parameter
>> like mySQL "use_old_password".
>>

> I agree that this is most needed in order to maintain one code base

Well,  it is fixed already in "cross-way" (not available for download yet).
So  3.0  either  as 3.1 clients will be able to connect to 3.0 and 3.1
servers both.

3.1  VClient  makes  decision  self  - which method should be used for
sending  passwords - depending on server version which it communicates
to.

3.1 VServer now has additional setting - UseOldPasswords.
So you are able to reject connections with "plain" passwords.

Please  note - originally it was security bug fixing with sending not-encrypted
passwords.  So  it should not be the option - plain or digest password
sending in the future.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc