Memory and crashing

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Mon Jul 2 23:02:23 CDT 2007

I have one Windows user that is constantly getting a hard Windows crash when executing a certain SQL statement in my app.  I feel certain it is the SQL because I have the Valentina log turned on and it ends without returning from the call.  My other Mac and Windows users are not having a problem with this same code.

I obtained an exact copy of the database and I was only able to recreate the crash in Windows if I started lots of other applications before firing up Parallels on my Mac to run Windows.  My theory is that the app is running out of memory while trying to execute a complicated SQL statement.

My question is this:  Is it expected for an app to have a hard crash if it can't get enough memory?  Is this something that bypasses the normal exception processing?

This user has the largest database by far of all my users and only has 1GB of memory for Windows XP.  Does 1GB of memory seem like enough for a Valentina app?  My knowledge of Windows is rudimentary so I really don't have a handle on this.

I'm programming in REALbasic 2007r3 if that makes a difference.

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/