3.0->3.1

Barry G. Sumpter BarrySum at BigPond.Net.AU
Mon Jul 2 03:16:25 CDT 2007

>From my experience over the last 2 days,
Any VDB v3.0 opened with any v3.1 kernel will update the database.
Not just VS.  i.e. thru code as well.

BOTH VDK 3.1 AND VSTUDIO 3.1 are available for download.

Yes, you DO have to code the building of the m-to-m index table.
Yes, you do have to code the link into each db update.

Now I get to reanalyze my DB structure to see how to use 3.1 m-to-m links.

View my how to install v3.1 on http://www.barrysumpter.com

-----Original Message-----
From: valentina-bounces at lists.macserve.net
[mailto:valentina-bounces at lists.macserve.net] On Behalf Of Ivan Smahin
Sent: Monday, 2 July 2007 5:53 PM
To: Valentina Developers
Subject: Re[2]: 3.0->3.1

Hello Kim,

Monday, July 2, 2007, 9:33:18 AM, you wrote:

KK> On 02/07/2007, at 4:25 PM, Bart Pietercil wrote:

>>  I think the change was necessary due to the "upgrade" of binary
>> links.
>> If I recall correctly the status of binary links is changed from
>> nice to have when substituting simple m-to-m tables to recommended
>> for all kinds of pointers (even overtaken objectpointers).
>>
>> This upgrade brought along file format changes
KK> Yes, thanks, I was aware of this, I was just wondering what has to be
KK> done to convert them. It appears it's just a matter of opening the
KK> old dbs with the new version of VStudio and it converts 'on the fly'.

Yes. It will be converted self on db.Open().

KK> I'm about to start a new project and I'm mulling over whether to use
KK> ObjectPtrs or Binary links. I must say ObjPtrs make more sense to me
KK> due to its similarity to Foreign/Primary keys.

It's  always  your  decision. But note, 3.1 has introduced some optimization
for  1::1,  1::M and M::1 BinaryLinks.

Now, in comparison with ObjectPtr, 1::M BinaryLink
1. Consumes exactly the same size of the disk space.
2. Operates 6 times faster on link/unlink records!!!

It  seems  to  me  it  is  a  good  reason for switching to BinaryLink
wherever  it is possible. I would say - when you have no "native" keys
candidates  to build RDB-link you should use BinaryLink.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc
Valentina - The Ultra-Fast Database