Paradigma Wants You - Valentina Community Server

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sun Jul 1 01:02:10 CDT 2007

Hi Kim,

> Whilst I applaud the community mindedness of this, it leaves
> me somewhat mystified as to the policy on PHP for other
> platforms. I know we've had this discussion before privately
> - whether PHP connections should be considered part of the
> server's connection count - but these leaves me even more puzzled.

The license for VCS is quite a bit different from whats allowed under VDN.
For example, VDN has an effective sub-license which isnt permitted with VCS
- VDN (or ADKs for that matter) have a lot of flexibility in regards to
rebranding, support and the like.

> As a 'paid up VDN member' do I need to pay $199 for PHP separately?
> Will PHP connections still come off my server connection
> total. Why would I not simply build a linux box and stop
> paying altogether for Valentina?  I know Linux folks are used
> to getting stuff for free but it seems to be spitting in the
> face of your paying customers.

Other ADKs cannot connect to VCS at all. It installs its own version of
VPHP.

Ive been under a pile but sometime soon Ill write something up about the
implications of VCS to VDN. For doing consulting work, VCS is a viable
alternative if all you need is web access and no support, and you don't mind
the lack of sub-license. Its got conditioned hurdles in it for use in
consulting.

> I'll restate what I said ages ago. I think PHP should be
> included in the server price and the connections *shouldn't*
> count towards the server connection limit. It makes it
> impossible to accurately determine how many connections to a
> server are needed and I don't know of any other DB vendor
> that does it this way.  I could have a perfectly operating
> web site which gets mentioned on slashdot and suddenly my
> database refuses connections. Looks bad for me AND the
> database vendor.
>
> And what is the standalone PHP on the website? - the links
> are broken and they're not mentioned anywhere on the info page.

Ill have to check with Ruslan on this -- that doesn't sound right. Ruslan?

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software