V4RB 2.5.3 Indexing crash, again

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Fri Jan 12 15:14:56 CST 2007

On Friday, January 12, 2007 sunshine at public.kherson.ua (Ruslan Zasukhin) wrote:

>> In my testing I use Virtual PC.  Don't know if that makes a difference, but I
>> thought I should mention it.  I use InnoSetup to install my app into
>> C:\Program Files\MyApp\MyApp.exe.  I was storing my database in the My
>> Documents or the Desktop directories.  I keep all the VComponents files in the
>> same directory as my app and do not attempt to set any path to a central
>> location.
>>
>> I just moved my app to C:\MyApp\MyApp.exe AND the database to
>> C:\MyData\mydata.vdb and everything now works fine.  ???  This explains why
>> the same app on the Mac works fine when the Windows version crashed.
>>
>> There must still be something in my app causing this crash, because when I
>> tried to make a smaller app using an exact copy of my DB classes, that app
>> worked wherever I put it without crashing.  Something in my app is causing
>> Valentina not to like it when I place the app in a directory with spaces or
>> special chars in the name.
>
>Aha,
>
>So if you will change name of folder
>
>    C:\My App\MyApp.exe
>        ^^^
>
>Then it again will start to crash ??

Yes!

>And then I wonder, if you can NOW reproduce problem in a SIMPLE project ?

Still no.  But, I just got back from a coffee break with my Windows guru friend and he has an explanation.  All this is beyond my expertise, so forgive me if I'm not explaining it well.  He suggests that because the simple app is much smaller, it doesn't get "segmented" by Windows.  The larger app can't pull all the dll's into memory so it doesn't until it needs them.  It would be logical that the dll for indexing is low priority for bringing into memory since it is used infrequently.  The error is occuring when Valentina tries to "swap in" this piece of code but then isn't parsing the directory name properly because of the space in the name.  Bear in mind that my testing is with Virtual PC and I only have 256MB of RAM allocated for that "virtual machine".   This may be less likely to happen with most Windows installations with a 2gb memory installation.

Again, forgive my explanation.  I'm relaying what another person told me.  It makes sense to me, but it's not something I'm familiar with.

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/