Moving database from Mac to PC

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Wed Jan 10 08:17:45 CST 2007

On Wednesday, January 10, 2007 sunshine at public.kherson.ua (Ruslan Zasukhin) wrote:

>On 10/1/07 1:01 AM, "Steve Albin" <steve at steve-albin.com> wrote:
>
>>> * does this happens with ANY your db or only some ?
>>>
>>> * if only one db cause problem, try diagnose it then clone.
>>>
>>> * if all - then send us smallest db that reproduce problem.
>>>

>> This only happens (as far as I know so far) with my base database.  I am
>> wondering if it may have something to do with empty tables...  It will happen
>> 90 percent of the time.
>>
>> I downloaded VStudio to try it and VStudio would not crash, but it would
>> produce a bad index.  I know the index is bad because it is only half the size
>> of a good one.  BUT, I found that if I delete the bad index and try again, I
>> get a successful index.
>>
>> Again, on the Mac, I have no problems with the same file....
>>
>> There is a DB on my site if you want to try it and see what you get.  It will
>> be just my luck that it works fine for you...  I would submit to Mantis, but I
>> can't nail down a completely reproducable problem.
>>
>> <http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Brian/download/BrianDB.zip>
>>
>> What makes this frustrating to debug is that I can't see what is going on when
>> the reindex is happening.
>
>Once again before I will download:
>
>    did you diagnose your db ?

Yes, no problems.

>    did you try CLONE it on MAC then move to PC ?

Yes, but this did not help.

Here is an update on what I've found.  If I download my DB and open with my app, it will crash doing the index.  But if I open the same DB with VStudio, it will be successful and I can open that DB with my app.  But, if I do a REINDEX from an SQL statement within the app, it will crash.  The app seems to work in all other respects.  I am using the class way to open the DB.  Is there something in the installation that could be incorrect but only effect indexing?

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/