Moving database from Mac to PC

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Tue Jan 9 17:01:19 CST 2007

On Tuesday, January 9, 2007 sunshine at public.kherson.ua (Ruslan Zasukhin) wrote:

>On 9/1/07 7:31 AM, "Steve Albin" <steve at steve-albin.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>> With my application, I provide a base database for new users.  Up until
>> version 2, I would create this database on the Mac, but provide it to both Mac
>> and Windows users.   The database consists of 2 files, the .vdb and .ind.  I
>> provide only the .vdb to users since the .ind can be created on the fly.
>>
>> With Valentina 2, my Mac users are having no problem with this database, but
>> for my Windows users, the application crashes on database open while the
>> indexing is being done.  The resultant .ind file is only about half the size
>> it should be so I know it is crashing during the indexing.
>>
>> There is no debug log produced during this.  What can I do to debug this
>> situation?  I'm developing with V4RB 2.5.2 on the Mac, but the problem is with
>> the Windows version.
>
>* does this happens with ANY your db or only some ?
>
>* if only one db cause problem, try diagnose it then clone.
>
>* if all - then send us smallest db that reproduce problem.

This only happens (as far as I know so far) with my base database.  I am wondering if it may have something to do with empty tables...  It will happen 90 percent of the time.

I downloaded VStudio to try it and VStudio would not crash, but it would produce a bad index.  I know the index is bad because it is only half the size of a good one.  BUT, I found that if I delete the bad index and try again, I get a successful index.

Again, on the Mac, I have no problems with the same file....

There is a DB on my site if you want to try it and see what you get.  It will be just my luck that it works fine for you...  I would submit to Mantis, but I can't nail down a completely reproducable problem.

<http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Brian/download/BrianDB.zip>

What makes this frustrating to debug is that I can't see what is going on when the reindex is happening.

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/