Import of mySQL text file into Valentina

Kim Kohen kim at webguide.com.au
Sun Jan 7 17:08:45 CST 2007

All,

There's been a a *lot* of discussion lately about migration from
MySQL to Valentina and, having been though the process recently, I
think there's a real need for a robust conversion utility which looks
after schema mapping, data import, quotes and escaping, encoding and
any other 'gotchas' that might arise.

Whilst at it, a similar utility for PostgreSQL and Sqlite (RealDB)
would also be an advantage. I don't think you can underestimate the
advantage of being able to simply convert a database for use with
Valentina. As people run into the limitations of the various systems
(MySQL:licensing, PostgreSQL:support, RealDB:scalability) the need
for a pain free migration seems to be an important consideration.
Having to jump through hoops and dodge bugs with VStudio isn't the
best way to introduce people to Valentina.

The quirkiness of the Valentina API was difficult enough for me,
without having to endure weeks of suffering getting my data moved
over from MySQL.  A conversion utility would surely encourage people
to at least try Valentina - particularly if the RB way and new
databindings can be made solid.

I think the ultimate solution for someone from MySQL etc wanting to
try Valentina would be to

1) Convert db though conversion utility
2) change  mydb = new MySQL database to mydb = New Valentina Database
3) compile and build application :)

cheers

kim