Cache Size

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Mon Feb 26 13:21:45 CST 2007

On Monday, February 26, 2007 sunshine at public.kherson.ua (Ruslan Zasukhin) wrote:

>> what's nowadays the recommendation for the cache size of Valentina (V2RB on
>> MacOS)? My databases usually have >100.000 records and the size is >1 GB.
>
>Well, v2 can easy and effective work with cache even in 50-100+MB.
>
>In ideal to get best performance Cache should be enough to keep the most hot
>files. This is e.g. Hot Indexes.
>
>So try to set 50 or even 100MB if your RAM is e.g. 1-2Gb.
>
>Cache still should not be more than 50% of available on start RAM
>Valentina self correct this if needed

How about optimum cache size for smaller databases.  Most of my users have databases that are about 15MB.  The indexes are usually slightly bigger than the datafiles.  Does it make any sense to allocate cache that is bigger than the database?

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/