Urgent Encoding Problems

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Feb 24 05:30:22 CST 2007

Hi Thorsten,

-------------
> I first created the database by loading the mySQL-structure-dump.
> These creates a database where the storage encoding for the databse,
> the tables and the fields are all set to "UTF-16" and Locale to
> English (U.S.). I then load the mySQL-data-dump and on the first
> glance everything seems fine, e.g. using Valentina. When querying the
> lastnames all Umlauts are shown as expected.

Querying in VStudio ?

> I then used the straight forward approach to access the data in
> REALbasic
>
> myCursor.Field(i).GetString()
>
> but the returned string doesn't contain the correct Umlaut. When
> reading through the documents (wiki) I got the impression, that
> Valentina handles all this stuff for me, but it doesn't.

Yes this should work.

We have many enough German developers which use umlauts.
So it works 100%.

Lets search where from you have this problem...

-----------------------
** UTF8 **

> Searching through the ml-archives I found a mail from ruslan
> regarding UTF-16/ UTF-8 and REALbasic. So I start a second try and
> created a database with encoding set to "UTF-8" and then load the
> structure and data sql-dumps. But this was only the start of more
> serious issues.

Db with UTF8 storage DO NOT work yet as expected !!!
This is known issue.

[SKIPED]

> (Btw. WHERE can I set the IOEncoding in VStudio????)

There is no need for this.

IOEncoding so far have use only V4MD developers,
    reason -- because Director XDK don't know anything about UTF

-------------------------
> I then tried several combinations of ConvertEncoding, DefineEncoding
> in REALbasic together with the UTF-16-database, but nothing works. In
> contrast to Ruslans EMail THERE is a way around
>
> Using my patch from mySQL
>
> Dim result As String
> Dim chrCode, i As Integer
> Dim chars() As String
>
> chars = SplitB(text,"")
> for i = 0 to UBound(chars)
>      chars(i) = Encodings.UTF16.Chr(AscB(chars(i)))
> next
>
> result = Join(chars,"")
> result = ConvertEncoding(result, Encodings.UTF8)
>
> Return  result
>
> is able to use all fields with all Umlauts in correct representation
> in REALbasic - but of course THIS is not a final solution - it's a
> bad trick to live with the damned mySQL.

Yes this is NOT NEEDED for V4RB2

Well, so what we can do ...
May be try to play with our examples
    e.g.  V4RB/Examples/API/Records_AddDeleteUpdate

Run it, and add few records with umlauts.
Then click buttons Next/Prev to see if you see umlauts.