Hierarchical Data Storage

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Feb 13 11:12:40 CST 2007

On 13/2/07 6:55 PM, "Trevor DeVore" <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:

Hi Trevor,

>> If keep TreeID field, then will be
>>
>>     UPDATE .. WHERE treeid = rootID and left > x and right < y
>>
>> So USER1 will not touch trees of other users.
>
> That is where the idea for the double came in.
>
> You could keep the  treeid in the number to the left of the decimal and the
> left/right  value to the right.
>
> But a treeid would work as well which kind of  makes it a hybrid of the two
> hierarchal structures discussed, no?

Actually I have talk about doubles in other aspect.

Look. Assume we have 100K nodes, and we update node at index 20000.
So we need modify 80,000 records.

Not nice.

If to use doubles, then MAY BE its possible update only few nodes/records.

             3.0   -   4.0
                  3.5

So we just pickup value BETWEEN until we can.