Hard crash during SQL execution

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Sat Feb 10 09:47:27 CST 2007

My Windows user is complaining of hard crashes (bypassing the exception processing) of my app.  I have sent him an app that has Valentina logging turned on and in the logs he is sending me, the crash seems to be coming after various SQL statements.  Here are the last entries of two different logs.

Database_SqlSelect_1...
    PARAM: instance = 27509744
    PARAM: inQuery = "Select issues.recid, issues.*,  Perfs.nPerfRef,  Types.cTypeName,
    Types.nSortOrd,   Labels.cLabel, IssPerfs.nPerfId, perfs.nperfid,
    Types.nId, Labels.nid, IssPerfs.nIssueId
    From issues, issPerfs, perfs,  Labels, Types
    Where perfs.nsessid =  303
    AND  IssPerfs.nPerfId = perfs.nperfid
    AND  Issues.cFormat = Types.nId
    AND Issues.nlabelId = Labels.nid
    and IssPerfs.nIssueId = Issues.nId
    ORDER BY Types.nSortOrd, Issues.dIssueDate, Issues.cTitleIdx "
    PARAM: inCursorLocation = 2
    PARAM: inCursorType = 1
    PARAM: inDirection = 2

Database_SqlSelect_1...
    PARAM: instance = 27509912
    PARAM: inQuery = "Select distinct Players.nAxId, Players.nArtId, Artists.fullName,
    Ax.cAxAbbrev,  Artists.FName, Artists.LName, Ax.cAxName, Ax.nId, Artists.nId, Ax.nAxSort,
    Artists.nameIdx, Players.nSessid
    from Players, Artists, Ax
    WHERE Players.nSessId = 5075
    AND Players.nAxId = Ax.nId
    AND Players.nArtId = Artists.nid
    AND Players.nAxId <> 4
    ORDER BY Ax.nAxSort, Artists.nameIdx, Players.nArtId"
    PARAM: inCursorLocation = 2
    PARAM: inCursorType = 1
    PARAM: inDirection = 2

Since there is no return object listed in the log, am I safe to assume that something in the Valentina SQL is causing the crash?

He has reindexed the database and run a diagnose which indicates no problems.  I cannot get the Mac version to crash and when I run the program on Virtual PC, it will not crash.  I'm thinking that maybe Virtual PC is not letting the program run fast enough to allow the timing issue that is causing the problem.

Obviously, this SQL is syntactically ok since it works on the Mac version, but is there anything that looks suspicious in this that I could change to avoid the crash.  I did have one instance of an SQL that had a field not listed in the select clause but listed in the order by clause and that caused a hard crash on the Mac until I fixed it.

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/