Collaborative Work

Thorsten Hohage thohage at objectmanufactur.com
Sat Dec 15 07:37:24 CST 2007

On 2007-12-15, at 14:01, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 15/12/07 2:11 PM, "Beatrix Willius" <bwillius at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Don't forget something else: reporting. In my day job with Opel/GM I
>> sometimes think that nowadays we do most software only to get reports
>> out.
>
> Nice statement  :-)

There may be some nice solutions to do reporting with a Valentina DB
sometime in the future - hopefully!

BUT I must comment on reporting and this special client: I've a
complete reporting engine integrated in my framework, where I use
XHTML-style templates to define the reports and a XML-File for linking
data and templates. After ALL these discussions, no one was able to
define what reports they need. So from start there was no report at
all, because nothing was requested, but this doesn't matter, reports
are externals for me.

After almost everything was done, there was still no reports (don't
see invoices, address labels, ... as reports) inside, but they was
part of my initial estimate. I send an email around and pointing out
that I'm going to be in the company in two weeks and willing to
implement ALL reports they defined to do in this two days.

You guess what happened ;-) - I spend two days in the company drinking
coffee, reading mails, polishing fingers, ... but did not define any
report at all. And that is the current state about reports until now -
don't ask me why.

For ALL other clients I was in contact with, this is very true,
reports, reports and oh I forgot, reports ;-)

regards

Thorsten Hohage
--
objectmanufactur.com - Hamburg,Germany