Need a mentor for V4REV...

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Aug 26 02:18:14 CDT 2007

On 25/8/07 8:57 PM, "Jim Carwardine" <jim at hiringsmart.ca> wrote:

Hi Jim,

> Hi Folks... I originally called this email " Self-Teaching V4REV Sucks", but
> then backed off because I want to like and use Valentina but...
>
> We are not finding the wiki and other docs as helpful as we expected it to
> be...
>
> 1. There seems to be a number of approaches in how one would design a
> Valentina database - SQL-like???? or using the kernel???? - which we don't
> understand and which isn't explained in any straightforward way...  How do
> we decide which way to go?

Choose SQL.
This will be much more close to other dbs. You can use any SQL books.

> 2. We've now mastered a simple update and retrieve scenario with V4REV and
> now can't make sense of the docs for searching.  Does anyone have a sample
> of Rev code that executes a search that we can study?

May be you did try API way?   This is advanced way.
Just use SQL:

    cursRef = VDatabase_SqlSelect( dbRef,
                  "SELECT * FROM Person WHERE Age > 18 and Name = 'Jim'" )

Please check
    V4REV/Examples/SQL/Records_AddDeleteUpdate   to see it in example.

Did you check V4REV Tutorial?

> 3. Would someone please explain to me why there are so many releases of
> V4REV?  It seems as though every week there is a new version.  I had so much
> trouble installing V4REV the first time, I hate the idea of re-installing a
> new version every week...

The Latest Official RELEASE 3.2 was MONTH ago.

    3.3 fc1, 3.3fc2  -- this is kind of betas.
    you are NOT forced in any way to use them

    and even if we make NEW Release 3.3, you still can use 3.2,

> I would like to spend an hour or so on the phone with somebody who can help
> us make sense of V4REV before I dump it all an go to a database that has
> some books to reference.
>
> Is there anyone out there that can help?
>
> BTW we are using a MacBook w/ Intel and OS 10.4.10, Rev 2.8.1 and V4REV 3.3
> for development
>
> Thanks in advance... I don't mean to sound negative but I am truly
> frustrated... Jim

It sounds to me that you are new to databases at all, right?

Jim, all you need in fact is:

    Valentina Init, Shutdown

    Vdatabase_Create , Open, Close

    VDatabsae_SqlSelect, VDatabsae_SqlSExecute

    VCursor_FirstRecord, VCursor__NextRecord

    VCursor_Field( name )

This is that minimal set of methods which is enough to make some app.

I Recommend you split your way on STEPS.
Try make list of steps of HOW TO ..

    HOW TO Init
    HOW TO Create db
    HOW to Open DB
    HOW TO CREATE TABLE
    HOW TO insert records
    HOW TO SEACH RECORDS

This is what you need yes

And we can answer you also step by step just pointing some example
or a WIKI page