Starting and stopping VServer Office...

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Aug 21 23:48:00 CDT 2007

On 22/8/07 7:09 AM, "Jeff Justice" <listaccount at starionline.com> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

> Question 1:  The wiki says to stop the server from the terminal to
> use "kill -3 vserver_process_id".  Is it also possible to simply
> select the VServer process in the Activity Monitor window and select
> "Quit Process", or is this not recommended?

Yes possible. I also use this way.
Just in ideal be sure that clients are disconnected before this

> Question 2:  Following the wiki instructions, I cannot get the server
> to restart without a complete reboot of the machine.  In the
> terminal, dragging the "VServer_Office" executable to a terminal
> window gives me:
>
> mail:~ admin$ /Library/VServer_Office/VServer_Office.app/
>
> When I hit return I get:
>
> -bash: /Library/VServer_Office/VServer_Office.app/: is a directory.

It needs open Package,
    go inside of MAcOs folder, and drag VServer_Office from there.

So I get path as

/Library/VServer_Office/VServer_Office.app/Contents/MacOS/VServer_Office

But this will start it in TERMINAL. Not as true service.
If you quite termainl, it also will stop vserver.

> Couldn't I simply double-click the executable in the finder?

No, this not works

> However, when I do this, it does one of two things, it either shows
> in the Activity Monitor, then immediately quits, or it stays
> launched, but becomes unresponsive after about 30 seconds.

Unresponsive is normal for vserver.

> End result still the same, a complete reboot of the machine.

There was some command how to start from terminal as standalone process.

I have write it into wiki or faqs. I will try to find

Also Charles on this list did point usage of launchd for start of vserver.
This is modern Apple way.

I will make search and let you know