Vista OS

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Sun Aug 5 14:27:47 CDT 2007

On Sunday, August 5, 2007 lfredricks at proactive-intl.com (Lynn Fredricks) wrote:

>> >Right now we test with several operating systems and some like Vista
>> >will get a lot more love in the future.
>>
>> The "future" is rather ambiguous.  Vista is here now.  It's
>> one thing for a hobbyist supporting a few academics for free
>> to go blindly into the future, but not recommended for
>> commercial developers.
>
>That's right - we are officially supporting it. Its been tested on Vista by
>both of our development teams in Ukraine and Germany.

Did I misinterpret what Ruslan posted earlier?  He seemed to indicate that the development team was only using XP.

>> In my opinion, it is just plain irresponsible to imply that
>> REAL is the culprit here if Paradigma hasn't tested with
>> Vista.  True, REAL should have an interest in making sure
>> that plugins work, but your interest in that should outweigh
>> REAL's.  Furthermore, how should REAL test your plugin?  Just
>> as I don't expect Paradigma to fix anything I can't reproduce
>> for them, how would REAL know what to look for?  Paradigma
>> maintains a test bed of thousands of conditions.  It could be
>> just one that is causing a problem on Vista.
>
>Im going by what was reported to us by other developers as a possible
>culprit here - one that Ive heard again and again. If you are only using
>Valentina then that eliminates plugin conflict from the picture in your
>case. I didn't imply anything. This is a simple matter of eliminating what
>might be causing the problem.

I agree with your reasoning, but my opinion was formed on the basis that Paradigma didn't do its own testing on Vista.  My apologies.

>I cant speak to REAL's testing methods, but if I were they, Id collect the
>top 5-10 third party plugins and get them into the loop. Ive had experience
>selling 'extensible' tools of the non-developer type too and, often a
>solution provider needs a plugin to work more than getting the next upgrade
>of the host.

I agree again, but I'm sure my opinion is worth about as much as the cost of the freeware software I develop. :-)

>You've reminded me of a funny experience I had in the earlish 90's when I
>was international sales manager at Now Software.

[snip]
> Apple loved the NU bundle but their tech support
>guys did not.

I remember the stories about this on MacFixit and such.... Funny now.
--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/