Indexing problems in V4RB, again

Steve Albin steve at steve-albin.com
Sun Apr 29 11:06:54 CDT 2007

On Sunday, April 29, 2007 steve at steve-albin.com (Steve Albin) wrote:

>I have an app that was working fine using V4RB 2.4.3.  I just made some minor changes and rebuilt
>with V4RB 2.5.9.  I open a database that was opened with the 2.4.3 version and make as many updates
>as I like to a particular table.  But when I close the datebase and reopen it, the first update to
>that table fails because of a duplicate unique key.  I do a diagnose and that table reports a
>mismatch on number of records and number of index records.  I can rebuild the index, and then make
>updates again.  But as soon as I close and reopen the database, the updates fail with the same
>problem.
>
>If I create a new database with the 2.5.9 version, this problem does not occur.  Of course, a new
>database is not an option as I need to use my current data.
>
>I tried cloning the 2.4.3 database before opening with the 2.5.9 version of the program, but that
>did not help.
>
>Any ideas on what could be corrupting my index on close and reopen of the database?

Following up to my own post, it appears I've found the problem although I'm still a bit confused as to what is happening.

Using VStudio, I examined the table that was giving me the problem and there were a couple of dozen records that were added to the table with duplicate unique keys.  Of course, it is a bug in my app that this happened, but I don't understand why Valentina allowed it in the first place.  I used VStudio to eliminate these records and now my problem goes away.  These records were added while the app was still using V4RB 2.4.3.

If I didn't have VStudio, is there another way to fix this problem?  I thought Clone was supposed to fix things like this.

This data is non-proprietary, so if it would help to see the database I can load it to my website for you to download.

I still have more testing to do, but if this indeed is the problem then I'm satisfied with the resolution and I don't believe it is a bug in 2.5.9.  Just something that puzzles me...

Steve

--
Steve Albin - Montclair, NJ
http://www.jazzdiscography.com/