To Joakim about speed of first query.

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Wed Apr 25 17:36:17 CDT 2007

Hi Ruslan,

> First profiling show that we cannot easy improve here.
> 99% of time is just system function READ.

So this first of all at least mean you can reproduce it?

> Reason of that?
> It needs investigate

Ok I understand. It is strange though I have not seen this with earlier
versions of 2.x, however not sure exactly were it started.

> 1) I want compare on mac intel
>
> 2) may be this is result of defragmentation of index pages
>
>     * we can try write that DEFRAGMENT also work for index files.
>         and see if this helps.
>
> 3) we can try implement some prediction-algorithms to
> pre-load index pages into cache ... Here also not 5 minutes,
> because it needs count for case of big db and index not fit
> cache size...

Take your time looking at it to conclude what it best or find exact reason
etc. I find it strange though this takes place efter every reboot but I can
only speculate of possible reasons for this, so I wont :-)

I assume you used 2.5.9 profiling or 3.0? If you think 3.0 production is not
too far in future I can switch over to take part in beta testing and aim for
using 3.0 in my final. That would probably make it more useful for you,
profiling with 3.0, due several different problems my final is delayed
anyway and will probably still take 2-3 weeks at least.

Anyway, thanks for looking at this.

Regards,

Joakim