about 2.5.10 // Resolved 0002294: DB gets corrupted after schema change

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Apr 23 16:44:53 CDT 2007

>On 24/4/07 12:06 AM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Robert,
>
>>>  * AND yes, it is possible to build to 2.5.10 even after 3.0 ship.
>>>  Although not sure that Lynn will agree that.
>>>

>>  If that is how you work with branching, then yes, but it is not how
>>  branching is properly used. It seems that you use branching but do
>>  not fully understand it yet to use it to your benefit beyond
>>  archiving specific releases.
>
>Don't know why you think so, but above are steps almost COPIED from
>One bug Linux project team.

Sounds like the project you copied it from does not use branching
optimally. I think I have already mentioned that I am involved in a
big project that has 3-4 branches active and supported at the same
time, including providing daily builds. Notably it is a single
product not a family as in your case. But the project is quite huge
and complex in a different way and has a few dozen developers working
world-wide.

>  > And yes, being able to release 2.5.10 after 3.0 should be not just
>>  possible but easy if you do things right :-)
>
>Yes, "as easy" as above steps, Robert.

Well, let's agree that we disagree. If you fix problems in the head,
then yes, indeed fixing earlier branches is a headache. Fixing should
be done in the oldest active branch, so CVS tools can be used to
merge them up into the newer branches and the head. That works
simpler.

Robert