NULL values not rendered as void in Director

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Sep 17 12:33:04 CDT 2006

On 9/17/06 4:17 AM, "Pierre Rossel" <prossel2 at myrealbox.com> wrote:

Hi Pierre,

This issue already was raised once by some V4MD developer.
After first deep look we have not find solution, frankly saying..

Please add this issue into Mantis, so we will see it in list each day.
Just copy your letter below into Mantis.

Btw, if somebody wonders why I ask todo this you, but not make this self:
    when you enter this into Mantis, then on any update of issue
    Mantis will send you reminder.

> Valentina returns NULL values as <Null> in Director. This value is not valid
> in Director's language and therefore we cannot do anything with it and have
> to use workarounds to avoid those values.
>
> I think NULL should be returned as <void> in V4MD.
>
> Here is an example (pseudo code):
>
> The condition is never true, so there is nothing to count. The result should
> be a NULL value (void in Director)
>
> Cursor = SqlSelect("SELECT count(myfield) FROM myTable WHERE 1 = 0")

> Put cursor.field(1).value
> -- 0                          <-- WRONG: should be void

STOP. This is correct answer. Idea is that before check value you need
    check field(1).IsNull()

But Hmm, Director has ability to have VOID value...rare case.
May be we really need improve this also.