Valentina 2 much faster of v1 // was : My database causes ...

Matthew Jew mjew at icnc.com
Thu Sep 14 06:57:36 CDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 3:28 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 9/14/06 5:31 AM, "Matthew Jew" <mjew at icnc.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Matthew,
>
>> I have been using the Valentina 2.4 C++ SDK successfully in
>> application.
>> (I previously used the 1.x C++ SDK. Version 2.x is much much faster.)
>
> Btw, we are very interested in this information! :-)
>
> Few developers already have inform us that Valentina 2 is able
> overall solve
> their tasks much faster of 1.x.
>
> Matthew, can you give more details about this. On which operations
> you see
> speedup, for which size of dbs may be, how much speed up? Just raw
> estimations, no need for exact numbers

My app mostly runs in unattended mode, so I normally do not monitor
its performance
at the level of detail necessary to provide numeric estimates.
However, certain tasks leave behind evidence of their speed.

The most notable is this: a new database is built each day, and at
the end of
the day the application does a reindex of the entire DB.
With version 1, this process used to take at least 2 hours.
With version 2, this very same process takes only about 3 minutes.

> ----------
> Btw, we know that SOME places in v2 still are slower than they was
> in 1.x.
> I believe we still yet potential to improve speed of Valentina2 in
> 2-5 times
> overall.
>

> ----------
> Btw, today we will upload 2.4.2 b4 -- it contains significant
> improvement of
> UPDATE for many records (> 32 records). You should be able see
> speed up in
> 25-35% at least for such operations as:
>
>         UPDATE T SET f1 = 5 [WHERE ... ]
>         UPDATE T SET f1 = f1 * 10 [WHERE ... ]
>         UPDATE T SET f1 = f2 + 6 [WHERE ... ]
>
> Frank, I am interested to hear if you will see speed up thanks to
> this for
> your complex  procedure of building of db.

I will try to see if there are places I can put some performance
monitoring code
to compare the speed of v1 and v2.

- Matthew