My database causes Valentina Studio 2.4 to crash

Matthew Jew mjew at icnc.com
Wed Sep 13 19:31:12 CDT 2006

Hello,

I have been using the Valentina 2.4 C++ SDK successfully in application.
(I previously used the 1.x C++ SDK. Version 2.x is much much faster.)
It is acting strangely with some of my DBs. My current issue is that
the Valentina engine crashes
upon trying to simply close a certain database. (I just open the DB,
then close it, and it crashes.)
I have the crash log, but won't include it here. (There is more info
to come.)
I am happy to send it if you need it.

To diagnose the problem (and to see if that specific database is
corrupt) I opened that DB in Valentina Studio 2.4.

I did a "Diagnose" in Valentina Studio, and it reported no problem.
However, shortly after displaying
the dialog box that displayed the results of the "Diagnose",
Valentina Studio displayed a strange dialog box
reported an internal error. I saved the contents of that window
(which I can send in).

I then attempted to Dump the database. That caused a crash. (I have
the crash log for that also).

Finally, I decided to just do an export, to see what the data looked
like.
(I can successfully use the Valentina Studio data browser to look at
the data that way.)

If I try to export all the fields, Valentina Studio takes up 95% of
the CPU, but never writes anything.
I waited for about 10 minutes to see if anything happened, but other
than creating the export file on disk,
it did nothing despite having continuous 95% CPU utilization. I
figured it was stuck in some sort of infinite loop.

I then tried to limit the fields it exported, to make things easier.
I successfully exported the first 2 fields
of all the records of the database.

I then tried to export the first 7 fields. It was able to write
exactly 121,215 records when exporting 7 fields,
then crashed without creating a crash log.
I repeated the experiment, once again attempting to export the first
7 fields. It was again able to write exactly
121,215 records and then crashed without creating a crash log. That
seemed predictable enough to me.

I then tried to export the first 6 fields. (The first 6 fields are
all numeric fields. The later fields also include some varchar fields.)
It was able to successfully export the first 6 fields for all 149,462
records.

BTW, Valentina Studio CLAIMS it could perform a "Reindex" on the
database, but when I discard the .ind file
and try to open it in Valentina Studio, it says "Database could not
be opened!" (However, a partial .ind index file
is left on disk after that attempt.)

Anyway, this is somewhat puzzling.

I can send you whatever crash logs, error messages, etc you want.
The database itself is about 121 MB with index.
(The database is stored on disk using the 4 files, .vdb, .dat .blb
and .ind)
If I discard the .ind, it is about 49 MB.
If I make a ZIP archive of the .vdb, .dat and .blb files, it is about
10.1 MB.
If I make a ZIP archive of all 4 files (including the index), it is
about 19.2 MB.

Help!

- Matthew