[V4RB 1] Creating Table from Cursor

Carsten Friehe rblists at online.de
Tue Sep 5 05:00:55 CDT 2006

Hi Ruslan!

>Cursor corresponds... You mean that they have the same number of records?

Yes. That's what I meant. They have the same number of records and eg.
record  234 in the first cursor is record 234 in the second cursor, because
the where and order by clause is the same.

>Yes I see your task. Problem started because you have no now SORTED column,
>which could be hidden and used for binary search.

Yes. Before I didn't had to do a binary search. The extra  field was the
record number inside the cursor because the cursor always had selected all
records from 1 to xyz and the order by was always using this field in
ascending order.

>Yes you can try do binary search on column which is currently used for SORT.
>Of course depending on its type you will get different groups by size with
>the same values, and then you need do linear search in potentially small
>group of records...

Yes, that is correct.

>As I have told today morning, IF make sure that Vfield.FindValue() works on
>cursor field, then this can give another speedup for such task because will
>be touched only one field but not the whole cursor record when you do
>iteration.

This sounds very interesting. You mean that I give FindValue the value I
search for and I will get back the record inside the cursor? This would be
really great!

Because I am still using V4RB 1.11, is there a short description available
what I have to change to use V4RB 2.x? I already payed for it but I didn't
had the time to change. :-)

Thank you for your help!
Carsten