Index by words and apostrophes

Pierre Rossel agora07 at prossel.com
Wed Nov 29 23:45:29 CST 2006

Hello,

I have noticed that the apostrophe character is not considered as a word
separator when a text field is indexed by words.

If the text contains a sentence such as "The lion's pride", a search on the
exact word "lion" won't match.

In French, the same sentence would translate to "L'orgueil du lion". Notice
the apostrophe which separates "L" from "orgueil". "L" means "The" in
English. A search on "orgueil" won't match the record as "L'orgueil" is
considered as one word.

I have reported this as a bug in Mantis
http://www.valentina-db.com/bt/view.php?id=2008

This is a real problem for me as some words cannot be found by my search
engine if they are next to an apostrophe.

By the way, I have tried to search the word "orgueil" in the text "L'orgueil
du lion" with several word processing applications and text editors, with
the option  "whole words only". They all found it, so they all consider the
apostrophe as a word separator. Why should Valentina behave otherwise ?

What do other developers think ?
Apostrophe is part of a word or not ?

Thank you.

Pierre Rossel