VServer and launchd

Charles Yeomans charles at declareSub.com
Mon Nov 13 17:12:44 CST 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 11/13/06 11:29 PM, "Charles Yeomans" <charles at declareSub.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I notice that VServer still ships with the startup script setup.  Is
>> there some reason why VServer plus a launchd script isn't the
>> standard install for Tiger?
>
> Time to learn and implement :-)
>
> I have read some pages about lanchd, look into system/library...
>
> Yes we need made this step

It is quite simple; I use launchd to manage some other server
applications.  Essentially, you install VServer_Office as usual, and
install a .plist file in /Library/LaunchDaemons.  Here is the one I'm
using for testing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://
www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
         <key>Label</key>
         <string>com.desuetude.vserver</string>
         <key>OnDemand</key>
         <false/>
         <key>ProgramArguments</key>
         <array>
                 <string>/Library/VServer_Office/VServer_Office.app/
Contents/MacOS/VServer_Office</string>
         </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Once installed, you use launchctl to administrate.  Much better than
rebooting the machine to restart :)  I don't know how one sets up an
installer, but someone has already done it.

Charles Yeomans