SQL more... problem with <NULL> V4MD1

Florian Bogeschdorfer fb at memedia.de
Sat Nov 4 11:14:29 CST 2006

Hi Ruslan!

This week you answered me a question, which you solved with outer join.

Now I have something like "SELECT NAME,CRD_NUMBER FROM KUNDEN,KARTEN WHERE
KD_ID*=CRD_KD_ID"

The result would be

Bogeschdorfer,1234 (e.g. if record in KARTEN exists with link to KUNDEN)

Or

Bogeschdorfer,<NULL>  (if no record in KARTEN exists for KD_ID)

So far so good. The problem is <NULL>. As we have discussed a year ago on
this list, this is no valid Director value, in Director it should be VOID.
However I know you won't fix this anymore. But this value breaks parts of my
code and the only way would be to check every possible field if the value is
<NULL> and make it void or "<NULL>". But I am talking about export routines
for 100000s of records. If I have to check every record with some fields
against <NULL> results it would take several minutes.

So what can I do. Is there a SQL way to replace the <NULL>? Like

SELECT NAME,CRD_NUMBER FROM KUNDEN,KARTEN WHERE KD_ID*=CRD_KD_ID REPLACE
VALUE <NULL> WITH 0

????

Best,

Florian Bogeschdorfer
——————————————————————————————
e-mail  fb at memedia.de
fon(E)  +34 680 75 19 77 (nur bei Aufenthalt in Spanien)
fon(D)  +49 173 58 44 26 0 (nur bei Aufenthalt außerhalb Spaniens)
skype   florian.bogeschdorfer
skype.in  +49 561 98 77 84 0
m e m e d i a
Agentur für Neue Medien