[NEW FAQ] about how to choose project when report bug

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed May 10 19:41:27 CDT 2006

On 5/10/06 6:33 PM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:

>> http://www.valentina-db.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=paradigma:public:en:documen
>> tation:vgeneral:faqs:faqs
>
> Ruslan,
>
> Great information.  I believe all mine are classified correctly except for:
>
> 0001487 2.x DB Open for 200mb DB File Takes Unusually Long
>
> I put this in V4RB but since it happens with Vstudio also, it should be
> kernel.  Can you change it? (I don't believe I can.)

Yes we will move it KERNEL

> By the way, it is a good time to remind users that they should *always* make
> an entry in Mantis for bugs, etc.. EVEN if Paradigma staff were instrumental
> in verifying the problem.  I have had to learn this lesson more than once --
> but that's my problem.

right

> I would love to have a better understanding of how Paradigma prioritizes
> items. I have sometimes found myself reluctant to file a report because I'm
> afraid it might delay fixing other reports I have made, which are more
> important to me.

> I imagine that with so many products, prioritization of such items must be
> extremely difficult.

There is no exact rule how we set priority.
Many factors:

* how good bug is explained

* how good and easy to reproduce bug is and project is.

* how hard  to fix bug.

* how important we consider a client.
    VDN users and VServer users we try pay more attention.

* if this bug is crash or simple glitch

* if this bug is ADK or kernel

* estimate how many people it can affect

* how good bugs fit into the current stream of work

    for example, I DO NOT try now profile your bug Russ on speed,
    although this is fastest way to find where is problem.

    But I have decide implement EXPLAIN feature, to give powerful
    tool into hands of all us.

    But if you will start complain and say - "tomorrow my deadline",
    then I will go by faster way..

So a lots of factors :-)

---
I will add this into FAQs also now :-)