V4RB - UpdateRecord() Not Updating varBinary fields?

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Mon May 1 10:54:32 CDT 2006

V4RB 2.3b10, OS X.4.6, RB2006r2

I take a password and encrypt it into binary data.

When I build a V4RB 2.x db, I add the encrypted password using code similar
to this:

Mycursor.varbinary("mypasswordfield").isnull = True
MyCursor.Varbinary("mypasswordfield").value = strPassword
IntReturncode = MyCursor.Addrecord()
Db.flush()

The above code works great; I can later retrieve and decrypt the password
with no problem.

But, later, if I encrypt a new password and try to change the password
using:

Mycursor.varbinary("mypasswordfield").isnull = True
MyCursor.Varbinary("mypasswordfield").value = strNewChangedPassword
MyCursor.Varbinary("mypasswordfield").UpdateRecord()
Db.flush()

The new password is not saved.

It appears that UpdateRecord() does not update varBinary fields.

If I *never* use AddRecord on the field, and try and initialize the field
using UpdateRecord(), the field remains <NULL> in Vstudio.

I'll go ahead and put this in Mantis; please let me know if I am
misunderstanding something.

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC