Table structure?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon May 1 14:07:16 CDT 2006

On 5/1/06 12:43 PM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

> Just to picture again how the data is used. User lookup up Place, either by
> search or picking from a list. For search this can be limited to Country if
> selected but if no country selected search is on all places. So the country
> here is really just a critera to limit search or not. From list, Places the
> country are always selected to set criteria for Places to display as
> displaying 207 000 places in one list isn't useful.

Apple products and other MAC now love to specify filter,
User type one or few first letters and list in live mode become small

> So the returned place is connected to a country and this country is then
> used to lookup zones belonging to country. Each Place also have an zone
> identifier to pair with which of the country's zone to use. From this zone a
> value is looked up based on a date and time. The data and time data is from
> user input.

So you have path of search

    Place -> Country ->
                         Zone
          ------------>

When user choose ONE place he expect to get ONE record in result ?
This is the target of your application?

You see, deal is that BinaryLinks now implement the most general case.
They allow do effective search in both directions.

    T1 -> T2    and T2 -> T1

This is one more possible optimization, that when you create a Blink you
claim that you need only e.g. T1 -> T2 direction of search. Then Blink wil
be exactly 2 times less.

I very hope that in nearest few months we will implement all these
optimizations.

> Did you know by the way that Russia have 76 TimeZones? This is not of today
> of course, but my data is not only for today but also historical AND in the
> future.

I still do not know what means TimeZone, and why so many.
I know only about that earth have 24 hours zone.

> Well too nice day today to sit in front of computer so will look at
> restructure later, but I think I really need to restructure db but maybe
> even then binary links is not right here.

May be.

Until we finish all optimizations, ObjectPtr can be more effective for 1:1
and 1:M types of links.

Still not clear how you get such big grow of db. I have never see this
before.