Crash in VStudio on inspection of empty DB

Kevin Windham kevo at gatorgraphics.com
Fri Mar 24 10:59:59 CST 2006

I am working on a DB app in REALBasic. I have my code setup so that
the database is built on first run, and any new fields are added to
the DB when they are not found. This seems to be working fine. I have
created a DB and I have made one table called person. When my first
person object is created in my app, the constructor tries to get each
field in sequence and if it is not there it creates it. There is no
data in this DB yet. Just the table person and 6 fields.

When I try to inspect this DB in VStudio 2.2, it crashes. Here is the
top of the crash log.

Version: 2.2 (2.2fc7)

PID:    8717

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   V2Client.bundle                	0x07c80794
vsV2_Table::get_IsStructureEncrypted() + 100 (bundle1.s:283)

It seems that I am wasting a lot of time messing with crashes and odd
failures in V2. This is my first attempt at a V2 project, and I am
wondering if it's worth the effort or I am going about it in the
wrong way. I've also noticed quite a few documentation errors or
grammatical failings. Has anyone else experienced a "familiarity
curve" with the new version that once you get over it things start to
smooth out? I really don't want to be wasting hours at a time simply
thinking up various ways to do the same thing in an effort to get on
with my project.

Should I be using betas maybe? Are there a number of bugs that have
been fixed since the release version? My experience with the previous
version was quite a bit better.

Thanks,
Kevin