Valentina Digest, Vol 39, Issue 21

Robert Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Mar 23 22:05:40 CST 2006

Thanks for the response.

Upon reading up on everything, it appears I will end up using both
local AND server methods. The app I am porting uses local temporary
tables that are destroyed upon exit from the app or the module in
use. I don't like the "dirty" feeling I get creating and destroying
temporary tables on a full blown server. Those database structures
should be relatively fixed imho.

On another note, since I am porting from Foxpro, it seems that
foreign key links are the most similar to Foxpro relations. But in
the app I am porting, they do not use database (collections of
tables, indexes, etc) as I will be doing, but instead, they have
individual tables on the disk. So I have 3 questions, and I think I
know the answer to the first one.

1. Occasionally I may want to create a relation between 2 tables in
different databases. Is this possible? (Probably not).

2. The Foxpro app creates and deletes links (called relations) on the
fly as it needs them. If I do that with Valentina using very large
data sets, is there going to be a performance penalty hit? Does
creating a link take time to build? I am talking about potentially
databases of 800,000+ records in a 1 to many situation.

3. Finally (and I thank all of you for your patience in reading thus
far) In a foreign key link, does the pointer in the child table move
when the parent record changes? And if so, is there a function for
retrieving just the records that match in the existing link? That is,
if the parent is an invoice header record, can I retrieve all the
child records with an sql function?

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management