forUpdate flag

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Thu Jun 29 09:33:51 CDT 2006

> > Another question about Nullable fields, are there any Pro/Cons or
> > special benefit of having nullable fields? I know they add 1 bit to
> > each record, but do I "save" something for those fileds
> that are NULL
> > compared to those having a value?
>
> Rule is simple:
>     IF you need keep NULL values or this field
>     you make it Nullable. Otherwise do not make it nullable

Yes, but why do I want to have NULL fields? Why not just "" or 0 etc.? My
problem not getting this maybe have to do with me coming from VB were as an
example a variable doesn't have to be initialized before use. In such case I
could see a benefit in being able to test for NULL to see if value been set
once (if so to 0) but we can't do this in VB. Is it what it's about?

Joakim