forUpdate flag

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Wed Jun 28 22:30:05 CDT 2006

Hi,

I wonder a bit about the inAccess forUpdate flag, is there any benefit in
blanking the RAM buffer when updating a record compared to NOT doing it when
updating a record and some values may have changed while others stays the
same? Like if I set values to all field although some may be the same as
already there (which I of course have to do if I Blank the record)?

Or in another scenario if I know just 1 or 2 fields have changed, any
difference if I just set new values to this 2 fields or if I "SetBlank
forUpdate" and fill all fields with fresh values (although I may not have
to)?

Another question about Nullable fields, are there any Pro/Cons or special
benefit of having nullable fields? I know they add 1 bit to each record, but
do I "save" something for those fileds that are NULL compared to those
having a value?

Regards,

Joakim