locate methods for cursor

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jun 21 14:14:42 CDT 2006

On 6/21/06 1:56 PM, "Florian Bogeschdorfer" <fb at memedia.de> wrote:

>> As in any SQL database:
>>
>>     DELETE ...... WHERE TEST_ID = 3
>>
>>     UPDATE ...... WHERE TEST_ID = 3
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>
> Hi Ruslan!
>
> I remember missing this feature in V1 already.
>
> Since the SQL approach would not update the cursor data, it would be
> necessary to build a new cursor.

If you create ServerSide cursor, ReadWrite -- then you can update cursor.

> But the cursor may be impossible to rebuild, since it might come from a
> different part of the program and belong to queries that no longer exist.

> Or the cursor might already have been changed (records dropped e.g.) and a
> repeated query would be quite an effort (need to log all drops on the previous
> cursor).

It should work. For ServerSide + ReadWrite

> In such a case I always had to make a repeat loop to step through the cursor
> and find a specific record with this value...no need to talk about the
> negatives in here.
>
> Why not build it as a feature?
>
> jumpToValueInCursor(cursor,fieldname,value)
>
> I would love that

This is not usual, and in best case we can implement this as the same loop..

Well on C++ level ....

Well for server-side cursor it can be really win -- because do loop on
server.

Ivan, what you think?
Florian, please add this request to Mantis.

For Florian, and for ALL.

We have got great progress in development of
        new vserver
        new vclient
        new protocol

* Ivan works last 3 months only on this task.

* We now have own generator of sources for our interfaces
like do idl in COM or CORBA.

* This a lots reduce number of human bugs.

* We have also change design of client-server. It is more similar now to
    protocol of distributed objects in COM/CORBA, i.e. we have proxy/stub
    objects....But also we have add over this layer the own layer of objects
    to provide better performance and expected behavior.

* We have now much more stable protocol as we believe.

* We already test servers on both platforms using our example.

* we already have almost update all examples, tutorials, docs, test projects
on new syntax for vserver. Don't be scary. Ready below.

* we already have Vserver MAC built with xcode as Universal Binary.

* and we see ability get perfect way do auto-compression of info when we
send it via network using new protocol.

    from this will benefit obviously BLOBs
    and (!!!) client-side cursors.

We hope finish polishing in few nearest days and introduce
new 2.4 beta of Vserver.