Table size

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 2 09:46:19 CDT 2006

On 6/2/06 2:03 AM, "Joakim Schramm" <joakim at astrocalc.com> wrote:

> Also finally, can you explain this a bit:
>
> * Smaller segment size will produce more segments in a logical file. So deep
> of RB-Tree will be higher, what can reduce performance of random access
> operation.
>
> More specific, how to define a "random access operation", example (COM)? How
> much performance loss are we talking about here?

You cannot control this.

This talk about RBTree of SegmentMap of internal file system.

I think it is clear that if you make small segment, then you will get MORE
segments. Right ?

> If possible, I like to reduce initial size of db as I know some of my users
> have small computer, but as I create this db on first run I can make it
> optional like checking HD size/free space and set segment size on creation.

You can try set db.SegmentSize = 4K

But again, if in average, your users will put there say 20MB of data,
In any case db will come to almost the same size