Collection Object

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jul 31 22:35:10 CDT 2006

On 7/31/06 9:27 PM, "Philip Mötteli" <philip.moetteli at econophone.ch> wrote:

>> Hmm, it seems SQL do not have query type which can do similar thing ..
>> OF course we can have low level API methods...
>> But SQL also is in interest
>>
>> It needs to think about this deeply. You have touch very
>> interesting issue.
>>     mix of Arrays, Links, Ptrs, ...
>
> Definitely. Do others already have solved this problem?

I have not see nothing similar to be automated.

Only may be OO DBMS collections, based again - on inheritance.
But in that collections not a fact they can do searches as you want
        f3.*.name = xxx

So I think this require kind of challenge.

>> On the other hand may be inheritance way is the most easy overall and
>> natural here ...
>
> I just don't see, how you want to do that.

> There's inheritance in EOF, but they don't solve the collection
> problem with that.

I have start to think about example for you and STOP.

I have realize that this is VERY strange query:

    SELECT f3
    FROM NSSet
    WHERE RecID=1 AND f3.*.name='Ruslan'

Why?

Because here you make very weak assumption that all 3 tables T1 - T3 have
field "name".

You see this? What you think?

In general case as I see it, tables Ti will have totally different
structures. Right?

So such kind of query is useless

I think we need together spend time to write really complete specification
of tasks you want to solve in your layer. Having this list of tasks we can
think how this can be solved

If you want I can setup for you account in our DokuWiki.

P.S. EOF - is layer over third party RDBMS. So inheritance they have is far
far  away from what we need in Valentina. I talk about inheritance on db
storage and db ENGINE (!!) level.

Benefit if this -- you do not need work with all that internal fields and
manage them. This will do db engine. Like C++ language manage for us virtual
tables. We just use them