VCursors vs VArraySets

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jul 19 22:31:25 CDT 2006

On 7/19/06 12:22 PM, "Chuck Pelto" <cbpelto at pcisys.net> wrote:

Hi Chuck,

> I was perusing your Valentina_Kernal.pdf on the use of VSets and was
> wondering what are the advantages, as you see them, of using the VSet
> approach as opposed to the VCursor approach?
>
> What parts of the new V4RB2 tie into the VSets that make that
> technique more advantageous than the SQL technique?

> I ask because I'm building a series of modules I can drop into any RB
> project and start running with. The idea being that all I would need
> to do is build the windows, throw in a few properties and put calls
> to the methods of these modules here and there in the application.
>
> I've just about got the SQL aspect nailed down and I'm trying to wrap
> my mind around your VSets and such now.

If In short:

* Valentina's low level engine is working in Sets.

* around that low level engine exists SQL engine
    (SQL parser, optimizer, executer)
    few MBs of code...

    this SQL engine dance around Sets to do its tasks.
    when you do WHERE clause in fact Valentina internally use Sets.

-----------
IF you need do project that must be done in short time and project not
require super-speed use SQL.

Sets this is low level. Like any low level it will put much more
responsibility on you but can give more performance.

BUT !!! To get this speed you really must understand very good
        what you are doing.

    Few times I have see very not correct usage of API way,
    and complain about this ...

--------
And Sets and API/Class way give you in hands also generally speaking other
paradigm of development. You can read ARTCILES in WIKI about this.