storing video/audio in a database

Jared Smith smith.sgt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 23:40:28 CDT 2006

Wow, thank you both for the quick reply! If I hadn't gone out for a
couple hours I would've replied sooner.

Sean: Interesting, I'm a newbie so I wasn't aware of BLOB fields. If
they hold video/audio than they're what I'm looking for. A quick
Google reveals that they also hold pictures, RTF files, etc, so they
seem to be pretty flexible...

Ruslan: No, not Director. I'm actually a new Revolution developer, and
I'd like to make an app that stores media content locally and syncs it
to a server so that the user can access his stuff from anywhere as
long as the app is downloaded (I also want to do streaming but forget
that for now). I figure this will mean putting an embedded Valentina
database in the app and Valentina Server on the server to store the
content online, and then having some mechanism to sync them.

I wasn't aware that putting videos/audio in databases is a bad idea.
Is it a speed issue? I guess I could stream it to a folder on the
user's harddrive, but I don't know how I'd sync it to the server then.
Also, I was hoping to make the app self-contained, having its own
storage structure separate from the rest of the computer.