[V4RB] GoToRecID(xx)

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Fri Jul 7 18:10:17 CDT 2006

> Well, I do not see why it cause problems in understanding.
>
> No problems with this":
>
>     tbl_name = tbl.name
> Or
>     tbl.name = "person"
>
> ?
>
> Current RecID of table. How to get it in natural way?
> right:
>
>     recid = tbl.RecId       -- we just as a property
>
> So inverse operation is
>
>     tbl.RecID = recid

I agree, the only, and maybe confusing, point here is that in use as a
property

>     tbl.RecID = recid

May inply that you are setting tbl.RedID to the value of recid, but as it's
pretty clear from the docs that RecID is generated by DB with a lifetime
span and can't be changed, it's not that hard to figure out. However, for an
old user, having a "habbit" of a GoToRecID method it might be harder to see.
I come in with version 2.3 so I can only "imagine" about this - but I know
from life in general "habbits" are hard to change :-)

I also see no point in a .GoToRecID as .RecId do tha same thing and you need
.RedID to read the value. But maybe put a not in the doc that this is the
"same" as .GoToRecID.

Just a tip, im my app on ever release I have a small chapter for old users
of what have changed in behaviour and what they need to think of, compared
to how they did something previously. This I "trow" in the face of them when
they install as well as when they start the program until they deliberately
have checked the option to not show it up on start.

Regards,

Joakim