Repairing corrupt databases

Chuck Neal chuck at mediamacros.com
Thu Jul 6 14:23:09 CDT 2006

I am running into problems where over time adding and removing records
starts corrupting my database.  It will create records with empty fields
or give me index errors on diagnosis about how it expects x number of
records and gets y instead.  That's all fine except that there is no way
to fix it.  I have tried doing a dump to XML, dump to SQL, etc and they
all die with a kernel error.  Studio will just die if I try to even
scroll to one of these records.  It seems that most of the errors are
items I have deleted so its not causing critical problems with live data
but over time the database gets more and more corrupt causing search
errors, incomplete SQL results (if a bad record is in the set it finds)
and eventually hosing the file.

Is there any other reliable way to get all the data back out and
rebuild/fix the database?

This is using version 2.1 in Director as well as with Studio.

-Chuck
Chuck Neal
CEO, MediaMacros, Inc.
chuck at mediamacros.com